Tuesday, August 19, 2008

City Boy Meets Tractors

Once or twice a year my family made the drive to "the farm." My grandparent's home. As soon as I hear the word farm nostalgia instantly sets in. I can ride a horse. Heck, I can saddle a horse. I have witnessed branding day. I know what a Rocky Mountain Oyster is, although I have never partaken. I have hauled hay. I have climbed a haystack. I have fed cows. I have explored a chicken coop. I have held a baby lamb. I know what sheep poop looks like. My grandpa, he was the ultimate cowboy. Grandma? Well, she wrote the book on being the All-American Grandma.

I know that my kids will never have the farm experience that I had. But whenever I get the chance I love to take my kids up there and give them a small taste of country life. A couple of weeks ago was one of those times. That morning William and I went on a walk to find tractors. That isn't too hard to do out there.

As I look back at these pictures I realize how "city" my boy looks! I mean, a Newsies hat?! Can you get anymore city than that? Somewhere deep down he has a little country in him because he was in heaven when we found this field.


And here he is pondering his life. Thinking that perhaps he was born into the wrong family. City folk who like things like basketball games and malls. Poor kid.

There goes the hat.

And there goes my boy. Down the lane. Off to be a farmer.

3 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

Somedays I seriously suggest that my hubby leave the Navy and buy a ranch or something. We don't know much about cows though.....William looks super cute in his Newsies hat!

Marissa said...

How fun! I always used to say that I wanted to marry a rancher because I love horses so much, but I think I am too much of a city girl for that life! So cool to visit though!

Marissa said...

How fun! I always used to say that I wanted to marry a rancher because I love horses so much, but I think I am too much of a city girl for that life! So cool to visit though!