Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rejoice!

In the past (nearly) 3 years I have cleaned up more than a lot of throw up. Courtesy of our sweet son, William. Brandon and I both have catching and cleaning throw up down to a science, so much so that within about 5 minutes after the dreaded event we can be sitting down at the dinner table once again enjoying our meal. We have caught it in our hands, in napkins, in bibs, in bowls, on trays. You name it, we have done it. It has made me cry. It has made me yell. I have stomped my feet. I have wanted to pull my hair out. This *cough* "small" issue of William's has been the most frustrating thing we have dealt with in regards to parenthood.

Why, you ask, does he throw up so much? Well, here is the equation for you:

William
+oral sensitivities (aka texture issues)
+ gag reflex like a pregnant woman
___________________________
lots and lots and lots of throw up

Even when William doesn't throw up, getting food down him can ofttimes be extremely exhausting. Begging, pleading, time-outs, bribes. I am not ashamed, I have tried it all.

Phew!

That being said, last night was a time of rejoicing in our family.

I made this delicious soup for dinner on Sunday night.

Brandon was feeding some of the leftovers to Marie. William showed some interest in it. We gave him a bite. He chewed. He swallowed. He asked for more. He fed himself two bowls full! Hallelujah!



Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is a very long, windy, curvy tunnel, but there is a light at the end of it, none-the-less.

5 comments:

jill said...

Hooray! Way to go William! Way to go Bethany!

racheyroy said...

not to downplay the miracle of william eating two bowls of something he has not had before, because it is. But, what is this soup? recipe? it looks good and good for you!

Dan said...

I wish I could post a picture of puke in my comment. Please email the recipe. We are going to need some nice hot soups in our lives in the near future.

Becky said...

YEA!! I am so happy that you had a good experience! You totally deserve it! Let us pray that this will be an omen of all the good to come! :)

Carina said...

I definitely think this is the end of the tunnel! That soup does look delicious! You should post the recipe!