
I have talked about potty training here and here. So many of the lovely mommies that read those offered fabulous advice and support.
Let's continue our discussion shall we.
Saturday was the big day here in our house. Potty training day. William did fabulously in the morning. We started out with a bare bottom and he went right in the potty. No problems. Then I added underwear. Two accidents later he got the hang of that as well.
Naptime came. We put a diaper on him because he still wakes up really wet from his naps. (edited to add that we made sure William went potty before his nap today and he woke up dry!)
After naptime, we went back to underwear. He had two or three accidents. Right before bed, when Brandon had him stripped down, he ran to the potty.
Now here we are on Tuesday. Since the success of Saturday morning William has yet to make it to the potty when he is clothed. If we let him go bare bottomed he is 100%. He has never had an accident that way. As much as I would like to let him run around letting it all hang out, I hear that it isn't socially accepted these days.
So, wise readers that you are, here is my question:
Does that mean that he isn't quite ready yet or this just a brief barrier that we need to make it past? If you think we should keep at it, how would you do that? Bring on the advice. I'm ready for it.
7 comments:
I have always heard that one of the main signs of readiness is that they wake up dry at naptime and in the morning. I used that as a factor for my kids. I stopped with Mary after our initial try and went back to it several months later before I had success. Good Luck whatever you decide.
Same with RJ. As soon as accidents started happening he went bare. I'm reading some good stuff about potty training right now because Ari's acting ready and I'd love that. I'm not sure which way to advise - when we stuck it out RJ did great. Then we caved and put him back in diapers when we moved and went through it later on. Boys take longer (I'm told) so don't give up. Our doctor's only advice was that Ari will be easier.
Nice.
Is he able to pull down his pants himself? If not he might not be quite ready. For more information. Check out my Kids to parents blog. This was actually my last post. Ethan run around butt naked today to and did great. She said she was going to let him do that for a few days and then put underwear on him. Of course when going out, nap time, and bed time he had diaper on.
I'm having a problem with that too. Eli turned 3 in August, and his little body just isn't ready I don't think. Maybe mommy isn't ready. He didn't walk until 20 months, so I'm telling myself that he will be later in other things too...what do you think?
Heres some really good news~~I trained Hannah naked. (Not ME naked, HER naked!! In case there was some confusion there). We would let her run around naked all day long (unless we were outside the home) and she eventually got to the point where we decided to put panties on her (after about 2 weeks of nudity) and one big thing that she loved was we took her to the store to pick out her OWN special underwear. So....I say continue with the nakedness and after he is consecutively using the potty let him go pick out new Big Boy Underwear! Good luck!!!
We went through that phase and it worked in the house and in the back yard. If we went anywhere he was in a pull-up...it will pass.
Hey! Talmage was exactly the same! What this meant is that Talmage was nude for about three weeks at home, which was only a problem when he wanted to answer the door. Tyler kind of put his foot down.
I decided that briefs felt too much like a diaper--too constrictive (isn't it amazing how much of motherhood is mental telepathy). So our solution (as of two weeks ago) was boxer briefs. I was looking for plain old boxers, but couldn't find any that were small enough, but the boxer briefs have been FANTASTIC. Since we've used them we've been on our way. He still has an accident every four days or so, but now it seems that happens because he wants to play or he forgets, not because he doesn't get it.
I don't know if this is William's answer, but it sure was for Talmage!
We still use a diaper for sleeping time; he wakes up wet every time, too. I think this has more to do with the fact that both he and Tyler are heavy drinkers than with his readiness for potty training; between the two of them they drink a gallon of milk a day. And that, my friend, is why we can't afford to have more children. :)
Post a Comment