My greatest frustration as a parent comes when I feel out of control.
Ex. If Marie is crying because she is hurt or tired, no problem, I can handle it. If Marie is crying because she is Marie and likes the sound of her own scream, I am tempted to pull my hair out.
I am learning, line upon oh-so-very-small line, that my reactions can ofttimes be the only thing that I can have control of so I had better figure out how to keep my cool.
It’s a good thing I don’t have to depend solely on myself to figure this out. I can recall the countless times I have gone to an infinite number of sources to help me with whatever current stage my children are in. I am ever grateful for wisdom of others that teach me how I can be in control as a parent and what that control should be.
Because parenting isn’t just about what we teach them, it is about how and why we teach them, right?
Read that last sentence again, would you? That is what was reaffirmed to me this week as we have focused on obedience with William.
I have gained more control of myself and in turn have learned better how to guide him through each day. That is the how.
And the why? My sweet and ever wise husband expounded on that Monday night as he taught our Family Home Evening lesson. After a hands-on Puppet Activity Brandon taught William that we want him to obey us because it will teach him in turn to obey his Heavenly Father and obeying Heavenly Father will allow us to live together forever as a family.
Good heavens, throwing that eternal perspective into it certainly takes it up a notch. Teaching obedience isn’t about my sanity or my need to have a good day or two? It is about eternity?
Suddenly I am realizing that the one who needs these lessons more than anybody else is me.
Line upon line, my friends, line upon line.
7 comments:
Thanks for that, Bethany! I think all of us need a dose of eternity to keep us in line!
I am so thankful to have a friend, online, but nonetheless, an awesome friend who I can relate to. You have inspired me to react to MY reactions and take a step back to view situations in a christian way. Thank you!!!
And btw, Marie's outfit is simply adorable! please tell me where you got it from!!!!!
Boy I hear ya! Somedays 'forever' is the last thing on my mind because I think the DAY is going to last forever, and if I have to tell someone to stop hitting one more time......
But, it is good to have a sweet reminder from a fellow mom. Thanks.
It's true! I couldn't agree more...even though I don't have any kids. haha. Well...I kind of do. My after school club kids. Too bad I can't throw that in there when I have to discipline them. : )
What a lightbulb moment... thank you! You're amazing!
Oh my goodness... I had one of those days where as a mother I just feel completely clueless. I went online, checked your blog and BOOM, it was what I needed to read. Thank you so much for sharing your struggles and learning experiences as they help us all. You have always been such an amazing example to me. Thank you!
Thank you for that! I got chills as I read, and I know that is a wonderful perspective! Good advice for all of us!
Post a Comment