Sunday, August 23, 2009

Come to the Temple


Brandon and I have never bought gifts for each other for our anniversary. For us it is the time spent together that is a gift. We cherish the chance we have to pause and remember that beautiful day when we knelt across a sacred altar and promised ourselves to each other and to our Heavenly Father for eternity.

Which is why I was thrilled when a couple of friends of mine inspired me this year with fantastic ideas to celebrate our wedding anniversary not just as a couple, but also as a family. (Thanks Jill and Megan! Their blogs are private, or I would share the link.)

For the month leading up to the big day we had family home evening lessons that centered around the temple. The favorite activity was building a play dough version of "our" temple. We've pulled out the play dough more frequently since then and Marie quickly sticks a plastic fork in a chunk of it and cries, "Temp-o!"

(You can thank the blinking light on the camera for this picture.
I still can't believe both kids are looking and smiling!)


The last Monday before our anniversary we went up to our closest temple and shared with the kids our love of the temple and its importance in our lives. Being the realist that I am, I must point out that this part took about 30 seconds. The rest of the visit consisted of keeping them from falling into the empty fountain, empty because the temple itself was closed for cleaning at the time.

After saving their lives multiple times we left the temple grounds and paid a visit to an ice cream shop to consume some unnecessary but delicious calories.(Can you say huckleberry ice cream?)

When William said his prayers that night he said, "Thank you for going to see the temple today." We were pleasantly surprised that he didn't express his gratitude for the ice cream instead.

Since that beautiful day five years ago we feel humbled that we have been given the opportunity to share the truths of the Gospel with two of Heavenly Father's choice spirits. I love that these chosen spirits were placed in my arms to usher through this life. I love that William and Marie are old enough to comprehend, even in a small part, what the temple is. And I love this stage in my family's life when we get to determine and establish traditions that will be the foundation on which their lives are built. A foundation which will point them towards the temple and towards the Gospel.

I foresee this tradition definitely making it on my top ten list. I am definitely looking forward to an eternity of August trips to the temple (and I wouldn't mind a bit more ice cream either).

5 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

What a neat tradition to start. I think we will have to try something similar....it will have to happen on a day other than the anniversary. We never seem to be in the same country on our anniversary anymore.....oh well.
I love the family picture! Seriously, could your kids get any cuter?

Lauren said...

What a great Picture of the four of you...and super cute idea...Our anniv is Dec 29th so we never do anything but cherish, that is way cute...do u mind if I steal???

Becca said...

Is that gum in Brandon's Mouth?

Jill said...

Sounds like our trip to the temple with the kids. A few minutes of a cozy lesson followed by fast walking to the next side to see more water.

Happy Anniversary! I love the play dough idea. Genius!

Heather said...

What a great tradition. Love the play dough temple and the pic is darling! Congrats.