Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of School

My thoughts as we got ready to go to preschool:
  • Which shirt should I have him wear?
  • We are biking over there so I can't gel his hair because the helmet will mess it up anyway. Oh well.
  • I hope he remembers to close the door if he uses the bathroom and I hope he remembers to pull up his pants before he comes out.
  • It will be so much fun to hear what he has learned and to reinforce it at home.
  • I hope he chews his food OK. What if he pukes?
  • Is this backpack too big? I hope not.
  • Marie is going to love having alone time with me.
  • Is he going to keep his hands to himself?
  • Will he be able to sit in his chair?
  • Will he listen?
After we arrived I unbuckled him, put his backpack on and told him to go up the stairs. Off he went. He didn't even look back. This was no surprise, really. He has always been this way. Daycare. Nursery. Primary. Babysitters. See ya later, Mom!

William's reply to "What did you do in preschool today, William?"
  • When the bell rang we had to stop playing with toys and had a snack.
  • Snack was animal crackers and water.
  • I didn't learn any letters or numbers, Mommy. (He really did. He just told me he didn't because I told him he would.)
Typical boy. He was there for 2 1/2 hours. I could have handled a 2 1/2 minute description, at least, 2 1/2 seconds wasn't nearly long enough.

Miss Michelle's reaction to William:
  • He has a lot of energy. A lot of energy.
Yep. I could have told you that, honey. (Thankfully, she passed my "interview" back in May and proved to be the best candidate to reign in that energy a bit. She'll do great!)

The best part of the day:
  • The smile on his face when I came to pick him up. It reassured me that I am still the center of his universe. For now.

2 comments:

Maren said...

Oh how fun. I can't believe William is that big already.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I am glad you found an energy-friendly teacher. I will be hunting those out too. :)