Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A First for Me

I am a novice at gardening. You know that. The result of this noviceness? Four jalapeno plants that all produced fruit long before I had enough ripe tomatoes to can a batch of salsa. The solution to this problem? Pepper jelly! Some lady sells it at a local crafty store near my house (From Our Home to Yours, if you live around here) and I sampled it while I was in there a few weeks ago. I was hooked! Not a practical food storage item, but definitely a tasty one.

I have never canned or made jelly on my own, so I was super nervous about this little adventure. Thankfully the kids took a good nap that day because I was up to my elbows in mess for about 2 1/2 hours. I was thrilled when I was done and all the jars had sealed!

So, other than the fact that I wasn't 100% pleased with the recipe itself, we'll call it a success.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Way to be adventurous and successful!

Becca said...

good for you! you get a brownie point from me!

Amber said...

Wow, I have never tried Pepper Jelly but it looks awesome and kudos to you for canning it. That is a skill I have yet to master but I am still working on it.