Monday, November 16, 2009

Are You Kidding Me?

Recently we got some information from our insurance about a health program they are sponsoring. With the info came a "SonneWheel" which is self-defined as a BMI assessment tool.

The instructions are simple.

1)Align child's weight in lbs. and height in inches.
2)Read Body Mass Index in top window.
3)Turn wheel over and follow instructions to determine the BMI percentile for the age.

Simple enough. I was curious, so I tested it out with both my kids stats.

Are you ready for this? According to this Marie is obese. Yes, that's right folks. My baby girl that has slowly ran off all her cute little baby rolls is supposedly obese. In order for her to fall within a healthy BMI, according to the SonneWheel, Marie would have to weigh 4 pounds less. That is about 13% of her body weight! And William? We can see his ribs, but don't be fooled, he is borderline overweight. Apparently he could stand to lose about 4 pounds, as well.

Give me a break. Apparently there aren't enough people with eating disorders in this world, we need to get 'em when they are toddlers!

Good grief.

5 comments:

Jill said...

BMI. Don't get me started. According to those my SIL is underweight. Um, don't think so. We decided it's useful for assessing the distribution or disemination of a product for which the BMI chart was consulted in the manufacturing of said product. We don't believe in it totally. I'm a rebel and threw mine out after "whatever"-ing. I know. How dare I.

Marie is not obese. She is ADORABLE! VERY adorable.

Bethany said...

Yep, mine is in the trash, too. I'll join the rebel cause.

Becca said...

yeah that is insanely wrong!! You can't tell at that age if a child body is going to be under weight or over. They are TODDLERS!!! They are still growing!!

Heather said...

Hate BMI's do we really need another chart as to measure us and others by that is totally inaccurate??? Garbage is a good place for it.

M&EMS said...

No worries, we did that too, and Eli our tall and skinny kid is obese as well!! LAME!