Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Hands

How grateful I am that when this post appeared on my Google Reader, I took a moment to read it.

I began to consider what my hands have done this week.

-- they prepared meals for my family to provide them with nourishment to get through each day.

-- they brought music to the home as they played the piano.

-- they wiped away tears and rubbed "owies" for children in need of comfort.

-- they held two of God's most chosen spirits whom I have been blessed to nurture through this life.

-- they cleaned and scrubbed and vacuumed.

-- they tied shoes and buttoned shirts and brushed hair.

-- they cut, and glued, and colored.

-- they held the hand of my sweetheart.

-- they typed notes of encouragement to friends.

-- they drove me to all of my many errands.

-- they sewed Christmas gifts.

-- the turned the pages of picture books as my kids cuddled in my lap and listened to me read.

-- they opened the precious pages of the Book of Mormon and recorded my thoughts and promptings as I allowed the Spirit to teach me.

I fight the urge now to list all the things that my hands didn't do and I wish they would have. It is far too common for us to embrace our mistakes and forget our triumphs.

For today I will bless the hands which I have and all that they have done, as they work on being "filled."

And may they continue to "fill" until they runneth over.

1 comment:

Dan said...

You appreciate your hands even more when you can't use one of them for a few weeks. Darn church basketball.