Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Verdict of Yesterday's Adventures

Mission UNsuccessful

My mom put it best this morning when she said, "The decision to potty train has to be based on the parent's tolerance level for frustration."

According to our tolerance level, Marie wasn't ready.She was showing more signs than William ever did, however, when she screamed and cried because she had to go potty and didn't want to wet on the floor (bare bummed in the kitchen), but didn't want to sit on the toilet either, we said enough is enough.

I don't do, set the timer and take the child potty every 20 minutes. All. Day. Long.

I don't do messes in the underwear all day long because, "She'll learn eventually."

I don't do, make her clean up her own messes and it's OK if she screams and cries, that's how she will learn.

At least not yet.

Ask me again when I am closer to my third trimester. Perhaps then I will be a bit more desperate and a bit more tolerant of frustration. Perhaps not. My experience with William was that diapers really aren't more work than a newly potty-trained toddler.

Whatever I decide in the future, my decision for the present is to appease Marie's many requests yesterday as she did the potty dance around the kitchen,

"Mommy! I need a diaper, please!"

7 comments:

April said...

I was wondering how your day went yesterday. Obviously, she isn't ready yet :) But kudos for trying!!

Becca said...

I work we do every hour. If you want to try that. But yes she will when she is ready.

Megan said...

I'm with you! I would rather change a diaper than clean up accidents. Tyler was the one that had to push the potty training at our house. If not, Luke would have been in diapers until he was 4. Good luck, though. Marie seems like she should take to it pretty quickly. I love what your mom said - it is so true! It's all about the parent and their commitment to the ordeal and their tolerance.

Jill said...

Potty training. Ppppppbbbhhhhwwwwwtt!

Bud & Kim said...

Hey girl...you do whatever works for you. No judging here. Every kid is so different (not that I know since I'm pregnant with my first but I used to do a lot of this when I taught preschool.)

aLeXis said...

Oh, I applaud your ambition. Avery keeps acting like she is ready, and will even say she needs to go, but then won't go near the potty. I am completely willing to wait it out till she is ready READY! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would wait until you feel normal. I didn't even think about potty training Eva after Lily was born, and I still haven't gotten around to it yet...Bleh. Not my favorite thing in the world.