Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Field Trip to the Fire Station

As told by William, Marie, and Mommy:

William: My fire station card. We put it on the fridge so I could remember about to go to the fire station.
Marie: Um, picture of our home. It has fire truck people in it.
Mommy: This is the one and only item from preschool that he has made an effort to display. He was a bit excited about this field trip. Just a little bit.

William: I'm wearing my fire hat. I'm at the fire station.
Marie: William and the fire truck people and fire trucks.
Mommy: He talked for two weeks about wearing his fire truck shirt to the fire station. He has two fire truck shirts. I washed and dried the wrong one the night before. Thirty minutes before we had to leave I was pulling this one out of the washer and ironing it dry. Why? Because if I hadn't, all he would remember about the field trip was that he didn't have his fire truck shirt.

William: That's the fire station guy and those are the kids.
Marie: People and mommy and one fore me. (Don't ask, I don't know what she is talking about either.)
Mommy: The moustache on the fireman? Fake. He was wearing it for some kind of dare. William thought it was pretty funny looking.

William: This is the fire truck. He's showing the hoses on the fire truck.
Marie: Ummmmm......
Mommy: Notice William's face. Completely mesmerized.

William: Those are the fire station guy's clothes. He's going to put them on so it can protect him without getting burned in burned houses.
Marie: Picture of William. Picture of fire truck. They are going to "wee-ooo, weee-ooo."
Mommy: William, front and center, still mesmerized.

William: He put the clothes on fast.

Mommy: William and Marie both moved to the back of the group after the firefighter was all decked out. All that gear was a bit too much for them.

William: I liked it when he wore those clothes, but I didn't like to hug him cause it's not fun to hug him. I didn't like to hug him.


Mommy: Can we talk about how impossible it is lately to get both of the kids to look at the camera and smile? Marie is the worst!

Marie: Um. Get in the fire truck. Yeah.

William: I'm sitting on the bumper. When I grow up I want to be a race car drive and help people with my ambulance and with my fire fighter fire truck. I don't like growing up.
Mommy: William has been saying that (not wanting to grow up) recently because 1) he is concerned that he has to be the baby's daddy, even though we have reassured him that he is just the big brother and 2) he thinks that if he doesn't want to grow big and strong he can get out of eating his vegetables.

3 comments:

Bud & Kim said...

So cute! I love that you put their responses and I love that William doesn't want to grow up. Your kids are a hoot! According to Shelley the "not looking at the camera" phase doesn't last too long so hang in there.

Megan said...

I love the growing up comment! As a parent, there is nothing better than seeing your kids totally smitten with something, like you can see in William's face. Priceless! That's how it was for Luke when we went to the Dinosaur park.

Jill said...

Taking it easy, huh? Looks like we need to have a talk, lady.

Cute kids. Hysterical commentary.