Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Little Hiccup

My morning began with 8 contractions in an hour. Not such a good thing at 24 weeks. I anticipated some Braxton Hicks today because yesterday I spent 4 hours on my feet with my kids at a local spring fair. I did not anticipate 8 in an hour. A call to my doctor and my mother sent me to the couch with a big jug of water.

After a contraction-less hour I got up to clean the fridge out in preparation for a much needed shopping trip.

Contractions. Back to the couch.

In the meantime, my children and husband were in the backyard. Husband was building our newly acquired swing set (couldn' t pass up a Blue Light Special!) and children were playing giddily (yes, that is a word) with anticipation.

I successfully fed the kids lunch, went back outside and pretended to help Brandon for a few minutes, and then put the kids down for naps; all contraction-less. So I decided to get to my long to-do list and began cleaning the kitchen with the intention of mopping.

Contractions. Back to the couch. So much for my to-do list.

The evening passed with time on the swing set and a trip to Subway for dinner. Ditching the to-do list meant grocery shopping didn't get done. Dairy Queen for dessert was the highlight of the night.

Upon returning home I put the kids to bed while Brandon made his weekly phone calls for church.

Contractions. Back to the couch.

So here I sit as Brandon puts the groceries away. The groceries that he purchased while I, well, sat here.

It is frustrating to sit around all day when I feel capable of doing so much more. It is intimidating to think of what these next several weeks will bring if this isn't just a case of a bit too much time on my feet. It is humbling to know what a selfless husband I have, willing to jump in and pull some, or even a lot of, extra weight.

Tomorrow I will be taking it easy again.

Let's hope things calm down a bit. I have a lot of plans between now and the end of July, none of which involve sitting on the couch all day long with a jug of water.

7 comments:

Becca said...

You are in my prayers we want a health baby!

Marissa said...

I hope everything is okay! Also, I know how humbling it is to have an amazing husband who will step in when needed-but I am so grateful they are there! I had a few days like this around 31 weeks and now that I am 36 weeks there is nothing, nada!! :) So, hopefully it is just a weird fluke of a day!

Bud & Kim said...

Contractions? I didn't know that could happen this early. To be honest I'm not sure I'd know if it did since I don't know what they feel like. I hope it was just from being on your feet all day. Take it easy for sure and hopefully all will be well!

Jill said...

I'm SO glad I didn't send my kids your way. My WORD! Now: STOP IT! Sit down! Where are your kids??? Why aren't they at my house??? Better yet, get your body over here with them so I can watch you like a hawk and make sure you SIT, rest, and relax without a house to look at - seeing all the things you want/need to do. (Did that make sense? Maybe not.) I'm glad Brandon was home and took care of things. I hate that feeling of capability with physical inability. Good luck!

Carina said...

What an unsettling feeling that must be. Nothing like feeling so limited and yet so capable. Take good care of yourself and that baby!

Shelene said...

Take it easy cute momma...I know it is hard to let the list go, even some elements of it, but keeping that baby in you is on your list everyday until July. Let us know if we can do anything!

Amy said...

You need that baby to "cook" a little longer!!! Believe me, I know! :) I wish I was still there so I could help with your cute kiddos! Take it easy!