Monday, June 21st -- Wake up from a nap to toe curling contractions, several in 30 minutes. Stand up and walk and the contractions immediately change back to the tightening of the abdomen type contractions that had been my dear companion since 24 weeks. Contractions continue for about 24 hours but never increase in intensity, thank goodness.
Wednesday, June 23rd: Doctor's appointment determines that I am at 2 cm and 80%. I am given the clearance from the doctor. If I go into labor at this point they will not stop it.
Thursday, July 1st: 36 week doctor's appointment. Still at 2 cm and 80%.
Thursday, July 8th -- Pretty sure that at this point I am waking up about 465 times a night to roll over at which time my bladder requires attention as well. Contractions have been mild so I am pleasantly surprised to find out at the my 37 week doctor's appointment that I am at 3+ and 80%.
Friday, July 9th -- Full term. Brandon and I always guess what we think the baby's birthday is going to be. My highly optimistic guess was July 10th. Imagine my excitement when I experience lots of cramping that night accompanied by other signs of impending labor which really just mean, "Yes, this baby will eventually come out." During each of my 157 trips to the bathroom that night I was sure that I would stand up and my water would break. Not so much. July 10th would turn out to be just any other Saturday.
Sunday, July 11th -- Cramping all day and contractions between 6-10 minutes apart for about 5 hours. As soon as I laid down for the night they stopped. Bother.
Tuesday, July 13th -- Facebook Status -- Dear Uterus, All this practicing? I'm over it. I think it's time you take a break until you're ready for the real thing. I mean, you don't want to be worn out for the big day do you? Speaking of the big day, nobody would mind if it is sooner rather than later. Just sayin' ..... Sincerely, A Tired Mommy that is Ready to Meet Her Little One
Wednesday, July 14th -- Contractions have been irregular. Cramping is persistent. I am tempted to fire my body. I feel prompted to move my next doctor's appointment from Friday to Thursday and do just that then I feel silly. Like going to the doctor is going to make the baby come any sooner.
Thursday, July 15th --
Spend the morning cleaning my house, just in case there is a reason I feel so miserable. I also spend the morning giving myself "endure to the end" pep talks.
11:00am: 38 week doctor's appointment
{Doc} Are you sure you're not having any contractions?
{Me} Well, nothing very regular or too intense.
{Doc} What are the most regular contractions you have had?
{Me} Sunday night, 6-10 minutes apart.
{Doc} Because you're at a 5. Let's hook you up to a monitor. Well, how long was your last labor?
{Me} 4 hours. 1 hour after my water broke.
{Doc} I am not going to let you walk around like this. Head to the hospital, I'll see you there.
11:40am: Make a phone call to Brandon. He is fully expecting a report such as "I'm at a 4 and scheduled to be induced next week." Instead he got "Hi, we're having a baby today!" We decide to meet up at home to gather what we need and drive over to the hospital together.
1:31pm: Hop on facebook before packing up the laptop to take to the hospital. Status -- Bethany is heading to the hospital ... baby is on his/her way!
2:00pm: Arrive at hospital. I've had a couple of contractions that feel more like the real thing. Nothing that takes my breathe away, but they're getting there.
2:30pm: Doc breaks my water and determines that I am now at a 7, contractions still have yet to intensify too much. The doc decides not to use Pitocin. Yay! This was my one desire for this labor.
2:32pm: A fabulous nurse is looking out for me and brings in the anesthesiologist to start my epidural. I instantly become button happy and push it over and over and over again, determined not to repeat my experience delivering Marie.
3:35pm: Facebook status -- At an 8 . . . baby will be here soon!
4:00pm: At a 9 and beginning to feel some serious pressure. Nurse calls doc.
4:30pm: The past 30 minutes have flown by as they prep the room for delivery. I am feeling incredible pressure but can hardly believe that it is already time to push. I don't think too much about it though because I am complete and it is time.
4:38pm: I push through one contraction, or attempt to. Apparently I forgot how, so said my doctor. One of the nurses mentions that there is dark hair. That is serious motivation for me.
4:42pm: Push through another contraction. I remembered how this time.
4:44pm: Baby #3 enters the world and Brandon proudly and with a hint of surprise announces,
"It's a Girl!"
and our dear sweet Anne Kinslee is placed on my chest for me to begin my eternity of love and adoration for her. I have never felt such a sense of rightness as I did when I gazed down at this precious spirit fresh from our Heavenly Father. She is meant to be part of this family, to bless us and strengthen us through life. She is our baby girl. Our Anne.
6 comments:
So cool! Thanks for giving the play by play. I'm getting a little nervous since I'm only two weeks away. I think I was having some contractions yesterday but it's so hard for me to tell since this is all so new to me. I'm interested to see what they say tomorrow at my appointment. last Friday I was not dilated at all but was about 50% effaced. But I'm sure she has dropped a lot lower because I've been feeling a lot more pressure this week. I'll give you an update tomorrow. :-)
Love it! I'm glad she is finally here. How lucky to have 2 girls in a row.
"I am not going to let you walk around like this. Head to the hospital, I'll see you there." Ha ha ha! That's awesome!
You have a beautiful little girl! I just want to squeeze those fat cheeks!
I'm so glad she's here too! Pregnant in the summer - that's just mean. She's even more darling in person. Congratulations!
I wish we were closer so I could kiss those cheeks of hers. Oh and to help out as well. I hope the transition to mother of three is going smoothly.I am sure you are doing great.
Congrats again! I love that picture of her. She is such a little doll! Let me know if you ever need a break, and send the 2 kidlets over to our house. Aiva would love it!
Post a Comment