Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Saying Goodbye to That

October 2007: 2 weeks
Marie gave up her pacifier in September. It took a little bit of bribery persuasion, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated. She didn't shed a single tear and slept angelically without it. I should have been ecstatic and instead I was a little sad.
April 2008: 6 months
I think I braced myself for trauma because to me Marie's That was an inseparable part of her and let's be honest, how cute was it that she called it her That?
October 2008: 12 months
From newborn to toddler, she could be found with a cute little Mam in her mouth and suddenly it was gone. Such a huge part of her first 3 years and it only took 24 hours for it to be erased.
February 2009: 16 months
The first night that she went to sleep without it I thought it was too good to be true. I was shocked to wake up in the morning and realize that she hadn't woken up once. Then came nap time. Surely she was going to put up a fight this time around. She did ask for it. I reminded her about our discussion the night before, that if she went to sleep without it for nap and bedtime the Pacifier Fairy would come take it away and giver her a surprise. She liked that idea. I closed the door and walked down the hallway nearly in tears. It was me that was having a hard time letting go.
August 2010: 2 years 10 months
That night we tucked her That under her pillow for the Pacifier Fairy. We told her that if the PF came and found it in Marie's mouth, she would leave. Before we went to bed, Brandon and I tiptoed in and there was Marie, fast asleep with her That still tucked under her pillow.
September 2010: 2 years 11 months
And just like that she's not our baby anymore .

5 comments:

Jill said...

ROTFL! Okay, maybe just on the couch. That second to last picture is waaaaay too funny!!! Oh my gosh! I'm going to be giggling to myself over that for some time. :) Thanks. She's growing up really fast lately. Tell her to stop it. The next thing she's going to drop in pursuit of sophistication might be her adorable voice and I don't think I'll know her without it!

Bud & Kim said...

How cute! I wish my Abby would take one. I know she'd sleep better if she did.

Amber said...

I love your idea about the "pacifier fairy"; too cute. My boys never wanted to take a binkie so I lucked out and never had to wean them off one but they are super attached to their blanket and take them EVERYWHERE!

Anonymous said...

That is great! I didn't realize how hard it would be to get Eva off the pacifier. If I had, I never would have given her one! Well...maybe...

mike and elise said...

What a big girl! The PF is a fantastic idea. I'll have to use it . . . if I ever get a baby that will take a binkie, that is!