Monday, February 21, 2011

Menu Planning: Part One

My class on menu planning came and went. I’ll call it a success. For those that asked and for my own records, I am going to post the notes from what I taught that night. This is just what I said. Unfortunately, I do not have notes for all the wonderful tips and tricks that were shared by the women of my ward. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to add your thoughts in the comments. Happy reading!

 

Since I have been married I have always been a menu planner. The joy of cooking is what originally led me to it. I have always loved cooking and having somebody to cook for that appreciated my efforts made it even more fun for me. Finding and creating delicious recipes became a hobby of mine that I still love to this day.

Over the past 6 years my menus have evolved and changed and adapted to the needs of my family. The elaborate meals of our “married single” days are rare now. Often, just getting something into my finicky and wiggly kids is the only goal I have. Our week nights, like most families, are busy and a can be frantic. Without a plan those frantic nights would result in a $5 pizza, the nearest drive-thru, or a desperate search for some recipe that I have all the ingredients for. In the meantime, the opportunity for time as a family around the table has all but escaped. And that is what it really comes down to, isn’t it? If we have failed to sit down as a family, does it matter what goes into their bellies? As Robert D. Hales said, “It is not the food, but the family interaction that nourishes the soul.”

The Family: A Proclamation to the World, states that, “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children.” In her article Powerful Nurturing, Julie B. Beck shares , “A good nurturer carries power and influence. The Latin word nutrire, from which the English word nurture originates, means “to suckle or nourish,” or, in the full interpretation, “to feed, foster, care for, or rear.” True power is found in the hands of a worthy nurturer, especially at mealtimes.”

How has family mealtime benefited you in your own life?

“I thought I was just cooking casseroles and soup. But I had created the venue, the reason to gather. Because I prepared a meal to share with my family, something special happened. It was a simple process, and our style changed with the ages of our children. When they were young we could discuss a picture from the Gospel Art Picture Kit or memorize a scripture. When they were older we asked more questions and shared experiences. Over the years our children grew and matured, and we loved each other. Mothers, who are “primarily responsible for the nurture of their children,” can be a powerful force for strengthening families when they use meal times to gather loved ones. They follow example of the Savior to calm, teach, and help their families remember important things as they feed, cultivate, and rear at the consecrated tables in their homes.”

It is my testimony that meal and menu planning isn’t just about saving money or good nutrition, it is about saving lives.

That, sisters, is really truly why I menu plan. I hate the 5 o’clock what-the-heck-are-we-going-to-have-for-dinner frenzy. I hate mad dashes to the grocery store. I hate giving in and just buying a pizza. I hate it because it doesn’t allow me to then sit down and peacefully enjoy a meal with my family. There is something to be said for the calm of routine and menu planning allows for it.

No comments: