My calling has been stressing me out lately. Or frustrating me. Or discouraging me. All of the above, really.Yeah, you probably think I am Primary President. Nope, just lowly little ward choir director in a new-ish ward where this is anything but a long lasting tradition of ward choir. It is quite the opposite, actually.
I could vent, and gripe, and whine right now. I could explain all the reasons I have felt quite fed up; however, that wouldn't make me feel any better. I already tried it with Brandon and my mother and a friend. Didn't work.
Then I decided to pull out my lovely iPod the other night. Ward choir was far from my mind, but it was time for some scripture study. I found myself in Preach my Gospel , then D&C 3:19-20. From there I went to my Citation Index app and was directed to a talk by President Eyring from April 2000 General Conference, "Watch Over and Strengthen". It was one of those, "he is speaking directly to me" moments.
"Because you are called by Jesus Christ to His service, you may go forward with great confidence. First, you may be assured that He knows you and your capacity to grow. He has prepared you. Calls will stretch you, often at the start and always over their course, but He will give you the Holy Ghost to be your companion. The Holy Ghost will tell you what to do when your own abilities and efforts are not enough (see John 14:26)."
After telling a story of a young man who was recently called to be Stake President he goes on,
"The Lord is his only hope for success. Most of the help will come through the ministrations of the Holy Ghost. The Lord's servants cannot succeed without it. We can only have the Holy Ghost as a companion if we plead for it and if we qualify for it. And both require a lot of praying, praying with real faith in our Heavenly Father and in His Beloved Son and in the Holy Ghost (see D&C 90:24; A of F 1:1)."
Although Brandon, Mom, and Friend are all willing listening ears, I failed to talk to the one who could really help. In my moments of frustration, not once did I turn to my Heavenly Father. How grateful I am that this time he gave me a tender mercy and still directed me to the words I needed to read. How grateful I am that he is willing to teach me this lesson again, and again, and again. And again. Maybe some day it will be second nature to me. I am sure there are many more challenging callings in front of me to help me learn. How grateful I am for these callings that help me to find my weaknesses so that I, through my Savior, can make them strong.
2 comments:
This was perfectly timed. I've agonized and sobbed over my calling too. Thank you for being receptive and then sharing what you learn. It makes me a better person. Love you tons.
If it helps, you are the most amazing ward choir instructor! The problem, if we're being honest, is the rest of us, right? You just keep doing what you're doing, and eventually (maybe) the rest of us will catch up. You are wonderful! :)
Post a Comment