Thursday, August 25, 2011

At the end of July, after 8 ear infections in nearly as many months, Anne had tubes put in her ears. On the day of the surgery the process was about an hour and a half. Anne was in surgery for 15 minutes of that. The rest of the time was paperwork, waiting time, and recovery.

Brandon's lovely boss scheduled a training for him in Logan that week so I had to brave the day solo. This was our first child to have any kind of surgery or really any kind of medical work done at all besides routine well and sick child visits.She's (his boss) lucky that he actually found the training to be relevant, otherwise I might have gone postal on her. OK, probably not, but I did have a good cry at some point leading up to the big day. I kind of like my right hand man a bit and like his support.  I'm a proud to say that I only shed a handful of tears when they took Anne back for the surgery, but other than that I stayed strong.

Anyway, William and Marie got to hang out at home with Stephen and Alisha. The happy couple came up from Provo the night before so that they could be here when I had to leave at 6:45am. Stephen brought Star Wars, which William has been begging to watch for months now. We watched the first (third?) installment and have never had to answer so many question through a movie. It was funny, but at least now William knows what a light saber really is. I guess.

Now, a month later, I am happy to report that Anne has been ear infection free. Since the surgery she started walking much more steadily and has been "talking" up a storm. She had her post op today, including a hearing test and she passed everything with flying colors.

Here's to a healthier second year for our Anne-girl ...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

glad everything went well with her surgery - what a frustration that Brandon couldn't be there!

Megan said...

I forgot she was going to have that done. From everything I've heard about tubes, they seem to help quite a bit. Good luck to a future without ear infections!

Jill said...

Oh, hallelujah for a month without ear infections! And a happy Anne. I'm sorry you had to go it alone. Brandon's boss never fails to supply a good (aggravating?) storyline to your life.

(I need to send you the link Dave's brother just shared with us about office antics. It made me think of Brandon's practical jokes. And Dave and I laughed.)