Thursday, August 11, 2011

July

I keep waiting for summer to come. You know, those lazy days when the kids and I pack up the car and head to the park nearly every day, usually with good friends to hang out with. Or those weeks when every Tuesday or Wednesday we head to the library to play at the park and then go inside for story time. Or those afternoons when we sit outside and the kids play in the water while I relax and soak up some sun.

Suddenly school starts in a week and a half and I haven't even had a chance to slow down yet. My summer has been completely stolen from me. The moments that stole my summer have been fabulous and busy and memorable and wonderful and fun, but still .... I want some lazy days darn it. *sigh*

Well, here's to all the reasons July was NOT lazy. Just one really big reason on this post.

Another trip to California. I can't say that I am sad we made it out to California three times in just over 6 months. I can say that I am sad that in the next 6 months we won't be making it out to California at all.

Anyway, this time a family reunion brought us out there. 6 out of the 7 kids in my family gathered in Simi and then packed up our many vehicles and drove to El Capitan State Beach to camp for a few days.

Anne is officially my best camper, as a baby. She actually let us get some decent sleep at nights and she loves the beach, so our days weren't too shabby either. Her only complaint was that she had to be held or in her booster at the campsite. This girl likes to move and being held does not provide that.
William had a blast with his cousin Ethan, who is just one month younger. Nothing is greater for him than to be around boys. He is ALL boy and is surrounded by way too much estrogen on a daily basis. 
Luckily, there was enough estrogen running around to also satisfy my girly-girl, Marie. Her cousin Kaitlyn, who is 3 years older than her, became her BFF. Marie worships and adores Kaitlyn. As a matter of fact, just the other day she let out a big sigh of despair and said, "I wish I was as old as Kaitlyn." 
Our first day camping we took the kids down to the beach once they had enough of the setting up camp business. It was almost 5 in the evening and we did not expect the water to be nearly as warm as it was, hence the lack of suits on Brandon, Anne, and me. No suit, no problem! for Anne. We could not keep her out of the water. At. All. She crawled right at it and just laughed when the waves would splash her. All my kids love the water, but I think she is my true blue water baby. I have no idea where she gets that from. ;)
The next morning, or maybe the morning after that .... this time wearing the proper attire and enjoying the gorgeous view as we made our way down from the campsite to the beach.
The BFFs, humoring my memory making with fake smiles. 
Haha! I couldn't resist posting this picture. It perfectly captures what William and Ethan spent every moment on the beach doing (i.e. running through the waves splashing each other) and not doing (pulling up his pants).
With great trepidation, I must admit that Sara is the favorite Aunt. Probably because at heart, she's still just a kid like all her nieces and nephews.
The second full day on the beach wore Marie out. She curled up under the umbrella and slept for almost 3 hours. I can't blame her. There is nothing quite like a nap on the beach. So peaceful and relaxing.
Dave and Cory couldn't agree more.
 Brandon and I tried our hands at ocean kayaking. I loved it. I could have spent hours out there. We only made it out once, which was probably my only disappointment of the whole trip.
 Can I tell you how much I loved having so many willing arms to hold this little squirt? This is Dave's son, Christian. He is the oldest grandchild and Anne is the current youngest. Christian is what every young man should be. What a good kid.
 Jayna, another older cousin for Marie to adore ... both very worn out from a long day of beaching and camping. I could use Jayna around on a daily basis to cuddle with Marie.
 OK, if I was honest, which I tend to be ... ;) ... I would say that although the nights were great, Anne did wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning and Marie would often join her. Brandon was a saint and took the girls on a walk every morning so William and I (and the rest of camp) could sleep a bit longer.
 William and Ethan spent about 85% of their time at camp climbing this tree.


It was such a great camping trip and so wonderful to spend time with the family. We left California with a bit of sadness, not knowing when we would all get together again. Let's not make it three years again this time, K guys? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA! I LOVE that picture of Annie in the stroller! You should blow it up really big and put it on the wall! :D

Becca said...

I love picture of Jayna and Marie asleep on the chair!