I've never been one to be moved or comforted by the advice that "it could be worse". Knowing someone else has endured more than me or suffered differently than me does not give me the strength to endure my trials. However, knowing I am not alone in my trials, knowing that others have faced defeat and come out conquerors, knowing that faith can make us whole; that is inspiring to me. It builds my own faith and allows me to apply what they learned into my own situation.
The last year my heart has turned very closely to my ancestors that crossed the plains in the Martin handcart company.
My great-great-great grandfather, William Mellor, was 5 years old when his family left England and over the next six months made their way to the Salt Lake Valley. He was one of 7 living children. His sister Louisa kept an account of the trek. An excerpt from  her journal.
My mother, being still weak, finally gave up and said she could go no further. The company could not wait for her, so she bade my father goodbye and kissed each one of the children Godspeed. Then my mother sat down on a boulder and wept. I told my sister, Elizabeth, to take good care of the twins and the rest of the family, and that I would stay with Mother. I went a few yards away and prayed with faith that God would help us, that He would protect us from devouring wolves, and asked that He would let us reach camp. As I was going back to where my mother was sitting I found a pie in the road. I picked it up and gave it to my mother to eat, and after resting awhile we started on our journey, thanking God for the blessings. A few miles before we reached camp we met my father coming out to meet us. What a joyful meeting that was! We arrived in camp at 10:00 p.m. o'clock. Many times after that Mother felt like giving up and quitting; but then would remember how wonderful the Lord had been to spare her so many times, and offered a prayer of gratitude instead. So she went on her way rejoicing while walking the blood-stained path of snow.
God is real. He is there. He watches over each of us. Our paths are different but they are all, in their own way, blood-stained. And He is there, ready and waiting to provide us a miracle, that perfect something to get us back on our feet and encourage us to gird up our loins. He can't and won't take our burdens away, that is not why we are here. He will make them lighter, though, and through Him we will always have enough in us to take another step.
How grateful I am for that strength and that ability to keep walking. My burdens, in comparison, are small, but they are mine and they are real; and thanks to my Savior, I have strength enough to endure all that comes my way.
Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-
All is well! All is well!
5 comments:
I love this. Thank you for sharing. Did I know this was your great-great-great-great grandmother? If I did, and forgot, I'm grateful for the reminder.
Also, if you get a chance to listen to this year's Mormon Tabernacle Choir Pioneer Day Concert, listen to their rendition of this hymn (it was performed at the beginning, the second song I think). It is different than any other version of it I have ever heard them sing. It was full of hope. As it should be.
Thank you for sharing that. I really needed it today.
Beautiful insight from you and your ancestors!
Wow, you spoke right to my heart. That is amazing to have such a piece of history through the journal. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for this. :-)
Post a Comment