Back in triage we went through the required motions. I explained our concerns. We weighed Samuel. Perhaps we checked his pulse? Heart rate? Ears? They ushered me back to a room and the nurse went through the same motions. The next vivid memory in my mind was as I waited for the doctor to come in. Without warning or cue, Samuel puked all over my shirt.
I sent a text to Brandon. We were both relieved. Was it just a weird and sudden onset of a stomach bug?
The E.R. doctor came in and examined Samuel. I sensed a concern and had conflicting emotions. Part of me wanted him to say he must have a weird virus and send us home. The other part of me worried that he would say that and miss what was really going on. Whatever that was.
During the examine the doctor had Samuel laying on his lap. He lifted him up and Samuel puked again, all over the doctor. He left to get cleaned up. I sent Brandon another text.
"Doctor just examined him. He puked all over the doctor. Stomach bug, I guess? Doctor hasn't said anything."
After waiting for a while and cleaning up throw up two more times I sent Brandon another text,
"They suspect something abdominal. Nothing treatable and no reason to admit him. I'm waiting for the Dr to come back ... I assume at that point we'll be discharged."
I also sent a text to my mom with a picture of Samuel and minor details of the events of the night. I alluded to the fact that it was all over, just a bizarre scare and he was going to be fine.
That was the wishful thinking side of me. The only thing the nurse or doctor had said at this point was "Is that what's bugging you, little guy? Is your stomach upset?" I took that and ran with that. Of course, my baby was going to be fine. Of course, we would be going home tonight.
While waiting for them to make a decision I worked out details for a neighbor to stay with the kids so that they could get to bed. Brandon took them home, settled them in, and came back to the hospital thinking it was just to pick Samuel and I up.
After we had been there for awhile the doctor let us know that they were going to admit him with an IV and monitor him overnight. The next day was Marie's birthday. We had plans to go to Black Island Farm with some neighborhood friends. I quickly made some (emotional) phone calls to Megan to work out the details of the day and Jill who agreed to be at my house at 6:30 in the morning so that I could come back to the hospital. My wonderful friends. I can't say enough about their willingness to help at a moment's notice and their love for me and my family. To have people in my life that I can call at anytime of night to ask for help, that is priceless.
Brandon and I stayed together while they put in the IV, we found another Elder to assist Brandon in giving Samuel a blessing, we got him settled in to his room, and then I went home to relieve our neighbor, get ready for Marie's birthday, and attempt to get some sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment