Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year

Last year we entered the new year with two goals. Have a baby and sell our house. Well, preferably we wanted to sell our house then have a baby, but it ended up being the other way around. And so went my 2012. Many things, big and small, that didn't quite turn out the way I wanted them to, trials and blessings all combined into one big mess of a crazy year.

Now as 2013 begins, it's hard for me to feel like I am at a beginning. We seem to be in the middle of a journey that started when we were prompted to put our house on the market at the end of 2011 and we're still in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.

We're still ...

...trying to find where we fit into our new neighborhood and ward.
...trying to find the best school for our kids.
...adjusting to life with 4 kids.
...attempting to survive our 2 year old.
...not sleeping through the night.
...living in ugly green paint.
...trying to organize after our move.
...trying to lose our "baby weight" (yes, Brandon too.)

I don't usually set year long resolutions, but January does always cause reflection and pondering. I suppose that my hope for 2013 is to just keep swimming. Keep calm and carry on. Keep on keepin' on. One foot in front of the other. You get the idea.

William turns 8 at the end of the year. He has already expressed his desire to be baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which makes my heart happy. I look forward to reaching that milestone having made some great strides (strokes?) in our journey. Perhaps there will even be land in sight.


One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. 
Andre Gide


No comments: