Saturday, March 2, 2013

Where is HGTV when you need it?

With every new year comes a new home improvement budget. We always budget X amount each year to get some new furniture or paint or add some pictures or whatever tickles our fancy. It doesn't take me long to come up with enough ideas to exceed the budget by 5X or 10X or more. Never mind the time it would take to actually accomplish the improvements. That would require a lot more nap time hours than I get in a year. (Especially today which has given me a total of 0.)

Despite the minimal time or money, I have plans. Oh, do I have plans. Currently, our master suite, the living room, and the hall bathroom are on my mind. (See what I mean about too many plans?)

The master suite is on my mind, especially, because we recently painted it and are now trying to do something we've never done before. We want to accessorize. Wall decor, bedding, picture frames, the works. Except, I've never done it before. And it is overwhelming. And intimidating. It's fun too, and I like to think that I have pretty good taste, in a humble kind of way. But I just want to LOVE it and I'm worried I won't.

So, here is what we have. On three of the four walls is our neutral (which was a headache to choose, but we now are very happy with it). Meet Valspar Hopsack which may look like it has a pinkish purplish tint here, but I assure you, it is a nice grayish beigish (totally a word) neutral.


The accent wall behind our bed is Behr Smoky Blue.













We are planning to do a gray comforter. Probably this one from West Elm. Or the same style in a a darker gray.

 Organic Cotton Pintuck Duvet Cover + Shams - Feather Gray

Next up, fabric panels behind the headboard. Something like this or this. Well, more like the first because I want to do two different fabrics. Probably not three, but maybe? We are in agreeance that we want our room to feel calm and relaxing and that we wouldn't mind if the color scheme reminded us some what of the coastline. We kind of like the coast line.
August 2004. Honeymoon. Monterey, CA.
  
September 2009. Carpenteria State Beach, CA.
May 2011. Sunset Cliffs. San Diego, CA.
We want a few colors from the coastline. Not so much, theme-y seashells lamps with fishnet hanging over our bed or anything. Just the color scheme. Enter the color coral and perhaps a little yellow.


Now, back to the fabric panels. I am tossing between a combination of gray, coral, and beige. Gray and beige. Coral and gray. Coral and beige. Beige and beige. Gray and beige. So, tell me, what combination of fabrics would you use out of this lot? Ok, well, maybe not you because you might not choose to use any of these. What combination is your favorite? Or maybe your would suggest just one fabric and a big panel? The decisions are ridiculous here. 





5 comments:

Bud & Kim said...

What an exciting time! I am on the hunt for a gray comforter or quilt myself. I love West Elm and have my eye on one of their headboards. My favorite fabric is UM-226. I like the top two too. But I'm not exactly the interior decorator of the family. Haha! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love decorating! You might check out Tai Pan Trading Co. They have inexpensive wall decor. Have fun!

Megan said...

What a fun project! We used some Christmas money this year to get our first bedspread and decorative pillows (it only took 11 years!), and I love it! I love the bedspread you've chosen, too!

Jill said...

Whatever you choose will look wonderful to everyone else because they won't know the difference - but you will. ;) That's the hard part. Second guessing if you should have chosen that fabric instead of that one....yee-haw! These will all look lovely on your wall. I'm a fan of the dandelions and then a larger print and one very small print. Or maybe two large prints? Gah. Never mind. Don't ask me. I just moved my furniture around again. :)

Becca said...

I think UO-787 or EM-473, would work best with the paint color. The ones on the left i think would blend into the paint to much. The middle coral one is to busy. The 2 I picked I think wold just pop enough and be I catching.