Thursday, August 8, 2013

April

We zoomed through April like nobody's business. It was when I hoped life was going to slow down for us a bit, no birthdays, no holidays, and William was off track. Enough happened to keep us busy though and in a blink it was over.
It started out with a bang. Brandon and I found some cheap last minute tickets to a Jazz game. Our best friends in the whole world saved the day and watched our kids for us, when we couldn't find a babysitter, and off we went. The Jazz won. I think. I didn't really care, I was just there for the company. We ate dinner at, um, somewhere, beforehand. Shoot. I'm sure it was good, where ever it was. I used to remember details like this before I had 4 kids.
An attempt at an artistic photo in the parking garage gone wrong.
As much a tradition for us as the Easter bunny, is ham and bean soup with the Easter dinner leftovers. We love and adore this soup. It was one of the first meals I made for Brandon after we were married (but not after Easter) and he raved and raved about it. I kinda like words of affirmation, so I keep making it for him. (Our courtship didn't involve a lot of meals together. He had no idea I could cook until after he married me. Lucky, lucky man.)
On Marie's half birthday I took the kids down to This is the Place park. It was Baby Animal Days and boy was it a hit! They have a room dedicated to artifacts from members of the Mormon Battalion. My ancestor was part of the Mormon battalion. This poem was in the room and I found it to be especially poignant, as I work through my own modern day trials and struggles. I found myself both feeling grateful for these women who gave so much more than I have ever had to and relating to them in a way that I've never been able to before now.




Each kiddo took a ride on the ponies.





And we spent a lot of time petting and adoring all the baby animals. It reminded me of spring at my grandparent's farm when we would go out to corrals and see the new lambs that were born. I'm glad I can give my children a similar childhood memory, if not exactly the same.

Samuel found this little stream and would not stay away. His insistence on going swimming was our cue that it was time to move on from the baby animals.
So we took a little jaunt to the donut shop and had some donuts and milk.
The day ended far too soon and without seeing even half of what there was to see. I'm excited to take the kids back next year.
With warmer weather on it's way we finally got to try out our Christmas gift from my brother and his wife. A croquet set!
Anne enjoyed sliding on the new swing set more, and that was just fine. She dressed herself that day. Did I even need to point that out?
We had a great game and I think I won. At least, we'll say that on the blog and posterity will never know the real truth.
Okay, the real truth is that Brandon won, as if that surprises anyone.
But look at that form!
It was a fun, busy, and tiring month. Can you tell?

P.S. They are all faking in that picture. Silly family.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Good heavens how we love you people. A croquet set?!? How did I not know this? I love croquet! I'm not particularly good at it but playing it in my great-uncle's front yard is one of my most clear childhood memories. Also, I need the recipe for that soup. I've tasted it and I agree. Deeeelicious.