Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mother's Day and Birthday Time!

I adore May in a very self-centered kind of way because it is all about me! I might have secretly hoped, while we were growing our family, that we would never have a child born in May. I didn't want to share the month. Hehe. (Although, if one did have to share, that would be the best kind of sharing!) So, May roller around and, therefore, so did Mother's Day and my birthday. I did have the share the month with plenty of house showings, since we were on the market, but that wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.
 Getting all the kids in a group picture wasn't happening this year so I took individual selfies with each of them. I am so humbled to be the mother of these children. I often feel so inadequate and like they deserve so much more.
 But their smiles and their love and their forgiveness keep me going and give me a reason to become better and to do better. A popular podcast that I listen to begins each show with a phrase, "Out of all the women in the world God chose you to be the mother of your children." While I know that is true, that I have specific qualities that they need, the fact is I need them.
 I could not become my best self without these beautiful spirits keeping me going and helping me to see and work through my faults. What a ride motherhood is and how grateful I am to be on it. I love my children so much.
 Mother's Day did sneak up on us. I requested low key meals because I was at the tail end of a health challenge I was doing. Brandon obliged, naturally, and made Mel's BBQ Chicken Salad. We attempted a "healthy" dessert that was a bit of a flop (angel food cake mixed with a can of crushed pineapple and baked) and ended up being thrown in the trash a few days later, but that was fine.
 My gift was this gorgeous print of the Salt Lake Temple from Deseret Book that I had had my eye on for a few months now. The funny story about this picture is that when I put my arms up to pose, originally, I knocked the picture down. When I pushed my hands up against the picture to keep it from falling all the way to the ground, it scratched up the wall pretty bad. We had a showing scheduled for the next morning. Ugh. So, at 10:30 at night, we had to patch and paint the huge scratches in the wall before we could go to bed. You can see them a bit in this picture. Brandon is pretty much the best man in the universe because he didn't get upset with me.
The following Sunday was my birthday. The night before we went out to dinner with Dave and Jill. It has become a bit of a tradition and I love it! I look forward to it every year. We tried a new place this time and went to Lee's Mongolian BBQ. It was pretty tasty and fun to try out different variations of sauces, meats and vegetables. The hit of the night was the pocket bread that came as an appetizer. Jill gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card. Bless that woman, she knows me so well.
 My birthday dinner was pulled pork sandwiches, fruit salad, and a yummy drink. I treated myself to some fun birthday table decor. I don't mind and Brandon was glad of it. This was from Target and I couldn't pass it up when I saw it.
 Every since she did this at the family photo shoot in November 2012, Anne thinks this is the pose of all poses. I think she's a goof and I love her for it.
 I was most excited about my birthday cake, as my health challenge was over and I could have a little splurge. I made a caramel cake I had spotted on Pinterest and had been dreaming about for weeks. It is from the blog Java Cupcake. Salted Caramel Layer Cake. It absolutely did not disappoint. And the best part was that while I did all the mixing and pouring and baking, Brandon cleaned up after me. Love that man. 

My birthday gift was cash so that I could save up to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite. My husband spoils me, it's true. I'm a very lucky woman.

No comments: