Sunday, January 18, 2015

Quarantine Sandwich

We started the week out with a quarantine. William was just getting over strep and on Saturday night Anne tested positive for it. That same night Sam had a rash all over his body (that ended up going away with some Benadryl, not sure what that allergic reaction was all about).  So, Sunday morning we decided to keep the whole family home from church and I kept the kids home from school on Monday.
After breakfast we had some reading time and some art time and some make a big mess of all the toys time.


It helped that it was raining. If we had to be home all day, at least the weather made it easier to be cozy together. Anne and Sam did try to go out in it. They quickly decided it was a bit too cold and didn't try that stunt again.
Sam did try this stunt which gave me a bit of a heart attack. He told me he was "Findin' his Queen car."
All that mischief built up his appetite. I had to document him eating because he so rarely will sit down and just eat. It's amazing this kid is as chunky he is the struggle that I have getting him to eat.
I mean, look at this. "Look! I doin' y-oo-ga!," he says. 

Another adventure of the week was when I buckled Sam into his seat Monday afternoon to take him for a little drive so he would fall asleep. A cozy day at home with all the kids means Mommy desperately needed nap time. Sooo ... I buckled him in, went to start the car and .... nothing. The battery was dead. Brandon came home to give the van a jump start. It is a huge pain because of our small garage, we had to push the van out of the garage onto our sloped driveway so the jumper cables would reach the hood. After getting the van started I asked if I wondered if I should drive it around before shutting it off again. Brandon thought we'd be alright so he went back to work and I went back inside to enjoy a few minutes of quiet time. Well, the next morning the van wouldn't start again, which I discovered right as we were supposed to be heading out to pick up our carpool for school. Luckily, their mom stepped in and got our kids to school and Brandon came once again to give the van a jump start. This time I learned my lesson and went for a drive before shutting it off. I drove up to Farr West and back. I was anxious to see how the painting was coming. When I got to the house I saw that the windows were all taped and there was a cloud of white mist in the garage. It was kind of strange and I assume it was because they were painting the mudroom or something like that. Needless to say, I didn't dare go inside. It was a fun little drive, nonetheless.

The rest of the week was pretty normal, in a our-life-is-so-not-normal-right-now kind of way. Friday finally came and along with it came our finally meeing with "the cabinet guys". Our first meeting was 5 months earlier on our anniversary. This time we needed to sign the final papers for cabinet design, countertops, and mantel.
And the most exciting moment of the day was deciding on those counter tops. The standard for our builder is a choice of about 7 different colors/styles of granite. We were never crazy about any of the choices that were offered, but settled on one that best went with our other color selections. It had a lot more black in it than we wanted, but what can you do? We knew that we'd be able to choose out of the remnants in the scrap yard for the bathrooms so we planned on doing that at this meeting on Friday. The kitchen, well, it was going to be a granite counter top. Grateful not picky, right? We'd already spent our upgrade money in other areas and didn't even consider upgrading here. Until ....

The first thing that caught my eye out in the yard was not a remnant at all, but a full beautiful slab that was exactly what I had hoped would be one of Castle Creeks standard selections (the middle gray-ish white one pictured above). Come to find out this was quartz. Quartz is an upgrade. Long story short, we went with the quartz. Brandon said it was the way my eyes lit up. The man loves me and wants me to be happy, what can I say? Do I need quartz to be happy? Nah, but it sure is a perk.

We also found remnants that we loved for the bathrooms. The sample picture above will be in the main and downstairs bathrooms. It's quartz, but no upgrade fee because it's from the scrap yard. Woohoo. We went with a lighter granite for the master bath.

As of Saturday, the house is completely painted. The cabinets are being built the first of this week and will be completely installed by Friday. My beautiful counter tops that I am now completely crushing on will be in the week after that. We are in the home stretch, it's beginning to feel more and more like reality.
So, here we are back at Sunday. We woke up with anticipation of going to church as a family for the first time in weeks. We were all busily getting ready for church. After getting myself dressed I went to assist Anne. Much to my dismay, when I helped her take off her nightgown I discovered her whole body was completely covered in little red spots. {sigh} 

And thus, the week was book ended with a quarantine. This time, at least, not for the entire family. Hopefully, when I check in next Sunday I'll be report that we all went to church together.

P.S. We self-diagnosed Anne with Fifth's Disease. 

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've been giving myself a lecture on not overstaying my welcome once you move in to your new place.

It's not going well.

I am giddy with excitement for you all and can't wait to visit you in a space that truly is YOURS.