Sunday, April 6, 2008

Food Glorious Food (I think)

On Easter Sunday, after all the festivities, we decided to finally introduce Marie to the world of "solid" foods. I was SO not looking forward to this milestone in Marie's life. Two reasons. First, when we introduced solids to William, solid was the right word for it. In other words, constipation. Not fun. Marie had already had problems with "the C word" even before we put rice in her diet. So I knew a fussy baby was inevitable. Second, William still eats his fruits and veggies in baby food form (its either that or nothing). I was not looking forward to buying the stuff for 2 kids. Alas, with her 6-month well baby visit fast approaching I figured I had better suck it up and start solids so I could prove to the doctor that I am a good mom. So, here is documentation of the milestone. And for the record, I was right. Marie had a horrible week following the introduction of rice cereal. The week consisted of very little sleep for Mommy, Daddy, and Baby, and a couple of glycerin suppositories. She is now eating oatmeal instead of rice and everybody is happier! I have vowed to never buy rice cereal again. Whenever I feel crazy enough to have Baby #3 I am starting him/her on oatmeal.


She wasn't too sure about it at first, but when she got the hang of it she decided that this food business is pretty darn exciting. Despite my reservations regarding what the food would do to her insides, I was pretty confident that she would love the stuff. I was right. My chunky monkey loves to eat.



2 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

Hey Bethany. I was talking to my sister Andrea the other day. She had some questions for you about school and work. (She's an elementary ed major and is almost done) anyway, I didn't know your email address, but if you get a chance to email her @ andyreastruth@hotmail.com
Anyway, I can totally relate with the picky 2 year old. Grant refused to eat anything but what came out of a jar. Nora loved food and was only eating baby food until 9 months, then she just ate table food. I decided to try something different with Alex though. I make his food instead of buying any. It saves money and doesn't really take as much time as I thought it would. Well, they are cute! I hope I get to see them while they are small.

Carina said...

It cracks me up how them come after the spoon! I know it shouldn't, because they put everything in their mouth. However, I still love it when they can't wait for you to come back to them. Such a sweet girl!