Thursday, June 19, 2008

Understood.

Have you ever read this book? It is a classic. If you haven't, go to your library, check it out, and start reading.

Basically, the plot of the book is that a little boy gives a mouse a cookie. This small little act of charity leads the poor little boy down a road of endless demands. Upon finishing the cookie, the mouse wants a glass of milk, and milk can only be consumed with a straw, and of course, cookies and milk will require a napkin, etc., etc. By the end of the book the mouse is back to enjoying another cookie and the boy is sitting next to him among a huge mess of which he, the boy, is too exhausted to clean up.

I am convinced that Laura Joffe Numeroff must be a mother. A mother of a toddler to be exact. A toddler whose first words every morning are, "Some juice? Yeah, OK." The juice will then remind him that he is hungry for waffles. And eating waffles makes such a mess, so he sweetly says, "Wash hands? Yeah, OK." . Then there is, of course, the messy diaper that soon follows. After the diaper the toddler will ask for a book, etc., etc. etc. Until finally nap time approaches. The toddler is resting peacefully after having a cup of milk. And the mother? She is, like the boy in the story, completely exhausted and surrounded by evidence of her busy morning. Yes, I do believe Laura must bet the mother of a toddler . . . or two.

It is so comforting to know that someone understands.

And now, I have some messes to clean up . . .

3 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

YES! That is how I have felt ALL DAY LONG! Actually, all-day, everyday, for the last 19 days since Shawn left. I forget how messy the little monsters are! It's a good thing they are cute!

Hansen's Munchkins said...

I can feel my relation to this story is approaching at a WAY TOO fast rate...

Dan said...

Have you read the other books? There are more, you know. The one I remember is, If You Give a Pig a Pancake.