Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Post brought to you by the letter T ...

I remember a few months ago I read a book that showed the play patterns of toddlers. I would try to explain the diagram but I know that my words would not do them justice. Basically, they showed that between 2.5 and 3 years of age a toddler's attention span increases significantly and they begin to spend more time at one activity. More time as in more than 2-3 minutes, which is what William was averaging when I read the book. I am so thrilled to say that he has finally started to prove the diagrams correct! I am loving the time William spends playing with his toys, doing crafts, reading books, etc. Not only do I have more time to get my chores and such done, but I am also able to spend more time with him on preschool-type activities.

This last week we focused on the letter F and did a lot of activities about fish. We even went to the pet store and bought a couple of fish. Alas, as I looked for pictures to add to this post I realized that I didn't take any pictures of our fishy adventures, or even our fish. I do, however, have pictures of him entertaining himself for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. {sigh}

Chips, trucks, trailers, and tractors. No wonder he has such a big smile on his face. The truck, trailer, and tractor were my gift to him after he got over his rotavirus. It was my little celebration of health. He has loved playing with them and the big rig that Grandma S. gave him. And I can't forget to mention his rosy cheeks. He looks much better than he did in this post. Wouldn't you agree?


This wood truck was 88 cents at WalMart. William and I had a great time painting it. (He'll be starting his job at Maaco next week.) Plus, when he was bored with that he pushed the paintbrush through the truck window about 50 times (a service not currently offered at Maaco). What a deal!

William found a lone bean on the counter and started to move it from his tractor to his dump truck over and over again. I took advantage of the situation and gave him a pile of "rocks" to play with. We were both in heaven. He played with his trucks and rocks and I was able to clean the kitchen in peace. The only thing I'll do better next time is put it all on a cookie sheet so that I don't have to sweep the floor.

1 comment:

jill said...

Remind me to share with you my fishbowl idea. Saved a few of my days and will probably do so again this week.

BTW: holymackerellookatyou! Focusing on letters? Come. Come teach me how to be better at stuff like this.

Please.