Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Flashback

Our first Halloween as a married couple do you want to know what Brandon and I did? Nothing. We didn't even buy candy. Or pumpkins. Trick-or-treaters came to our door and all I had for them was Nature Valley granola bars that were, like, a year old. And if I'd known they were trick-or-treaters I wouldn't have even answered the door because I knew I didn't have any candy. It wasn't like we were consciously ignoring Halloween, we just didn't think about it.

The next year we semi-dressed up because we had a birthing class that night and our instructor threatened the class with old costumes from her dog if we didn't come in something. We went to WalMart and each found something under $5. Oh, and we bought some candy, since we were all out of those delicious granola bars.

Halloween #3. William's first Halloween. I'm not sure what came over me. We bought candy. We bought pumpkins. I even planned a Halloween concert for my K-2 kids. William was a sheep. I was Little Bo Peep. We had a grand time.

That was the beginning of the end for me, in regards to Halloween Scrooge-ness.

Last year I started planning William and Marie's costumes around the time I found out that Marie was going to be a girl, and that was in May. This year's costumes have been planned since last November 1st. We carve pumpkins now too. And, of course, we buy candy.

And I can't wait to get the kids in their costumes and take pictures tonight. If it is anything like last Halloween William will be a mess. A colossal temper tantrum will ensue right as we pull out the camera and ask him to say, "cheese." Heck, if it is anything like this morning when I needed to try on a piece of his costume, it is going to be dreadful. Kids. Who told them they could have opinions? Oh, and Marie decided to keep up with the tradition of Halloween injuries. Last year William provided her with a lovely gash on her forehead. This year she got in a fight with the stairs and lost. Her nose has a battle scar.

Whatever the case, I have begun to love Halloween. Temper tantrums, scratches, and all. Thanks to my kids. About three more hours and the fun begins!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Emma just saw this and said, "I had no idea you were pregnant."