Monday, May 11, 2009

Sunshine on My Shoulder Makes Me Happy


I miss California the most during spring and summer. The times when I spent countless hours in or around a swimming pool.

During the summer my mom took us swimming every single day. Once I was old enough I became a lifeguard and a swim instructor. At that point, as I have mentioned before, I was spending 6-10 hours a day in the water.

That is not my life anymore. Now I spent more time craving the water than I do actually swimming in it, especially now that I reside in the great state of Utah. A state that is sadly not know for its water; unless you count the Great Salt Lake which is a far cry from Malibu.

My point? One of those abundant reasons why my trip to California was good for me. Three trips to the beach and three trips to the pool at the athletic club. Heaven. Well, heaven would have been daily trips to the pool or beach, but the weather wasn't quite cooperative enough for that. Close enough to heaven for me, someone that has spent enough time in the water that the smell of chlorine is blissfully nostalgic. Its one of my favorite smells along with sunblock and the ocean.

When I grow up I am going to build a pool in my backyard. Now that would be heaven.

4 comments:

Colee said...

Awww I very much miss the California Beaches......Love the pics & the kids look like they had so much fun.

racheyroy said...

I am quite jealous at this moment.

shydandelion said...

I think anyone who has lived in California has a hard time being so far away from the ocean--especially if you are landlocked in a desert. :)

Dan said...

I miss the beach, but I don't really miss California.