
We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration .... recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there will be shining moments of joy and satisfaction."
(Daughters of God, Ensign, May 2008, M. Russell Ballard)
Thank goodness, thank goodness, this weekend was one of those "moments of joy and satisfaction". I needed that. I needed my kids to be healthy. I needed my kids to sleep well. I needed my kids to eat well. Thank goodness they did.
Thank goodness I have a fabulously helpful husband who never, ever makes me feel like I am pulling more than my share.
Thank goodness I have the knowledge of the Gospel* and the ability to read so that I can draw from the wisdom of prophets both ancient and modern*. Henry B. Eyring is currently on "repeat" in my head,
along with Mosiah,
I love being a mother. Love it. I have dreamed of this time for as long as I can remember. I love that I get to stay home with my children. I have done the working mom thing. It wasn't for me. Not once since I "retired" do I wish that I could be in the classroom instead of here at home. Not once. Not even on the hard days.
I just wish, sometimes, that I had more answers, more solutions, more guidance. A user's manual, perhaps?
Those desires only come when I forget that I do have all the answers, all the solutions, and all the guidance I could ever want. I just need to seek them out.
Lately I have been seeking and that has made all the difference.
Thank goodness.
*I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and often make references to my beliefs. If you would like to know more about the my religion, please ask. You can also check out www.mormon.org,for more information.
Thank goodness I have a fabulously helpful husband who never, ever makes me feel like I am pulling more than my share.
Thank goodness I have the knowledge of the Gospel* and the ability to read so that I can draw from the wisdom of prophets both ancient and modern*. Henry B. Eyring is currently on "repeat" in my head,
"My purpose today is to assure you that our Heavenly Father and the Savior live and that They love all humanity. The very opportunity for us to face adversity and affliction is part of the evidence of Their infinite love. God gave us the gift of living in mortality so that we could be prepared to receive the greatest of all the gifts of God, which is eternal life. Then our spirits will be changed. We will become able to want what God wants, to think as He thinks, and thus be prepared for the trust of an endless posterity to teach and to lead through tests to be raised up to qualify to live forever in eternal life. It is clear that for us to have that gift and to be given that trust, we must be transformed through making righteous choices where that is hard to do."
along with Mosiah,
26:30 Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.
Thank goodness.I love being a mother. Love it. I have dreamed of this time for as long as I can remember. I love that I get to stay home with my children. I have done the working mom thing. It wasn't for me. Not once since I "retired" do I wish that I could be in the classroom instead of here at home. Not once. Not even on the hard days.
I just wish, sometimes, that I had more answers, more solutions, more guidance. A user's manual, perhaps?
Those desires only come when I forget that I do have all the answers, all the solutions, and all the guidance I could ever want. I just need to seek them out.
Lately I have been seeking and that has made all the difference.
Thank goodness.
*I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and often make references to my beliefs. If you would like to know more about the my religion, please ask. You can also check out www.mormon.org,for more information.
4 comments:
Amen.
Thank you. I really needed that after today.
Bethany...I really think that you have "Mommy Radar" and post these comments when other s-a-h-m's are stuggling. Thank you for your uplifting and reassuring messages.
Thanks for those quotes. I always need reminders - even on the good days.
Post a Comment