Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In the hustle and bustle of the evening I didn't think much of William's comment as he ran upstairs to his room.

"I need my chicken!"

Santa brought the kids about a dozen puppets for Christmas, the chicken being one of them (which is actually a rooster, but whatever).

I was busy making dinner or cleaning up dinner or straightening the house. You know, some typical evening mother-like chore, and I was relishing the fact that my kids were being self-entertaining.It wasn't until I saw what he was doing that my brain even registered his comment from several minutes earlier.

He was making a jump for his monster truck and the chicken comment is what makes this moment so classic, so memorable, so photograph-able. He didn't just find the chicken among the scattered toys in the living room and decide it would make a nice stand for his jump. No. He sought out his chicken for that express purpose. He needed his chicken.

I pity the chicken, er, rooster. He looks a bit dejected, doesn't he? A bit used, perhaps? What a life to be demoted to the role of monster truck jump stand.

Then again, what could be more rewarding than providing an outlet for the creativity, however eccentric it may be, of a 4-year-old boy? I mean, he was needed after all. And who doesn't want to be needed?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, a rooster is a chicken. I think we all think of chickens as being girls, but those are called hens. Sorry, I am tired and I fixated on the chicken thing!
I love the passion children exhibit! Nothing is half-hearted (except for when it's time to clean up). It's inspiring. Imagine all we could do if we were so motivated?

Carina said...

I love it! THanks for helping me remember to slow down and appreciate all the little things that are said. I MISS YOU. (by the way) :)

Becca said...

Sweetness he used great problem solving skills!!!

Jamie Hamblin said...

Ha ha I love boys!