Sunday, May 24, 2015

Marie-esque: Primary Talks and School

I have a couple of talks that Marie gave in Primary I wanted to save and document here. The first of the two was from January, before we moved. I admit that I basically wrote it for her. (That's not unusual for a 7-year-old talk, right?) What I loved so much about the talk was that when she was done she had a glowing look about her. She came over to me and she said, "Mommy, I've never said words like that. I really liked them and I felt the Spirit when I said them, especially the last part." Music to a mother's ears.

She is such a special girl and has absolutely thrived in kindergarten and first grade. She is always one of the best students in the class, loves to be helpful, is smart and organized, is an outstanding reader, makes friends easily, and is just genuinely a joy to have around. It has been such a relief for us, as we have been dealing with some hard things with our wonderful William.  They both come by their tendencies quite honestly and I am amazed when I look at them and think that they are from the same parents! (Tangent: Don't judge or applaud parents too enthusiastically. I think in doing so we really forget whom they really belong and who truly deserves the credit.)

Anyway, she loves to volunteer for talks and so, we have a couple to record.

1)
There are two different types of peaple that take care of sheep. One is called a sheep herder, or a hired shepherd. The sheepherder rarely loves his sheep. If a wolf attacks the flock, a sheepherder may run away to save his own life, leaving the wolf to scatter and kill the sheep. The other type is the good shepherd. A good shepherd owns his sheep. They are his, and he takes care of them. He will do anything necessary to protect his sheep, even die for them.

John 10:4 reads: And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 

Jesus spoke these words when teaching that he is like the good shepherd.

In verses 11 and 12 he said,

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth hi life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth  them, and scattereth the sheep.

Jesus Christ is the Good Shepherd. he suffered and died for us so that we could return to Heavenly Father. We are His sheep if we will listen to His voice and follow Him. We do this by keeping the commandments, studying the scriptures, and obeying the prophets and the promptings of the Holy Ghost. We may not actually see the Savior in this life. But if we have faith in Him and follow His voice, He will protect us and lead us in the correct paths.

In closing, I would like to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ (and she did so).

The other was from today. We were sent a reminder text an hour before church. I was so grateful for that! Normally it is sent the night before, but an hour to spare was better than walking in to Primary and being reminded. So, Marie and I rushed upstairs and put a talk together. Here is what she said,

This is a picture of my brother William when he was 8 years old and chose to be baptized. The day he was baptized I felt the Spririt. I was very excited for him. I knew that he was doing something that Heavenly Father asked Him to do. Even Jesus was baptized because He knew it was a commandment. In Matthew 3:13-17 it reads: 

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. The he suffered him,
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven , saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I know that Heavenly Father is well pleased when each of us is baptized. In just a few months I will be old enough to be baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The promises that I make will help me to return to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ one day. I will promise to take upon myself the name of Jesus Christ, always remember Him, keep His commandments, and serve Him and others. I will also be confirmed a member of the Church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This will help me to keep the promises that I make that day.

I cannot wait to be baptized. I know that I will feel the Spirit just like I did when my brother was baptized. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

She did a fabulous job on both talks. She reads so well and loves to share the Gospel. I love to hear the words of the Gospel on my children's lips. And I love my Marie so very much.